Monday, November 2, 2009

iPhone app review - Glympse


An app I have recently downloaded and installed on my iPhone is Glympse.  Basically, it allows you to share your location with different people via e-mail or text message.  You can even configure it to post to your twitter account if you so wish.

I mainly use this in order to share my location with my wife so that she knows where I am when I go out to run.  This way she is less worried (especially when I go out at night or early in the morning when it's still dark) and also has some idea about what time I will be home.   I carry my iPhone with me when I run so if she really needed to know where I was, she could call but the nice thing about this app is she doesn't have to call me and I don't have to worry about having to answer my phone while I'm trying to run.  She'll get the link in her e-mail and be able to check my whereabouts (make sure I'm still moving....) and then continue on with whatever she has to do.

You can choose to whomever you provide this information to, so it's not being broadcast to the world (unless you choose to do so).  Also, you choose the length of time that you will be broadcasting your location.

The one thing is that you have to have the app running in order for it to be able to track you which means if you use some other app on your iPhone (such as RunKeeper) then this won't work for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment